Change University after VISA

Magzine Forums General Help Change University after VISA

This topic contains 40 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Gurpinder 5 months, 4 weeks ago.

  • Author
  • #2164 Reply

    Saleem Muneeb

    Hey I got my VISA. But I have a question. Can I change my University after getting VISA.

    Situation is like that, I applied VISA on University A admission letter and I got my VISA with University Name and City written in Remarks section. Now I got admission letter of University B (which is in different city, same course but city is different). Because University B ranking is better and courses are better I would like to go to University B now but my Study Visa has University A mentioned on it. Can I change university now?

  • #2165 Reply


    Dear Saleem ,

    Yes fore sure. Just goto the new town where your university is in , Enroll in the course and do all the other stuff as you would do in the first university’s town.


    PS: if you contact the embassy , they will tell you that your visa is valid for the university only , but when you come to germany you can goto any university you want. Many students do it and there has never been a problem.

  • #2533 Reply


    I got accepted in TU Ilmenau and appeared for visa interview. After interview I got accepted in TU Kaiserslautern. I was misguided and I informed the embassy of my change in university. They, as is mentioned on this site, asked me to send a new application.

    There are no appointments available now. What should I do.

    I need to rectify this mistake some how.

    • #2535 Reply


      Hi SMH ,

      Did they cancelled your old application?


  • #3351 Reply

    Mohamed M

    Hello Saleem

    I have the same issue. Could you please tell me did it work for you?
    Appreciate if you can please help me.

  • #3454 Reply



    I applied for VISA using admission from Technische Hochschule Ingolstadt for summer semester. But I was late to apply and my visa may arrive just a day before the date of registration.

    In this scenario, If I get some other admit for winter semester, from some other university, should I apply for visa again.?

    PS: Summer visa will be invalid in 3 months

    Thank you in advance


    • #3582 Reply


      PLease guide me on getting admission in Hochschule ingolstadt. Is is difficult to get admission in it? and what was you CGPA in college. Totally appreciate your help.
      Thank you

  • #3456 Reply



    One day before the registration looks okay , talk to your university if they can extend the registration date.

    If that doesnt work out , yeah must apply for a new visa.


  • #3486 Reply


    Hi, I have the same problem, I m going to apply using university A because the admission of university B didn t reach me yet, can I straight away go to the university B when I reach Germany, wouldn’t I have problems with the foreign office while applying for permanent visa, since they specify the university A location on the temporary visa?

    thank you in advance for your help

  • #3610 Reply


    I came to Germany as PhD Student of FU Berlin. (the name of University mentioned in my Visa) unfortunately the Promotion process went wrong and they didnt accept my Promotion Process. in this case they tell me (gave me an official Letter) that I can change my University and go to other town.

    Because my registration in FU was not Complete I cant get resident Permission in Berlin.
    Now I register in University B and the gave my doc to immigration office for renew my Visa
    They tell me maybe I should come back to my Country and try to get a VISA for University B from the first time because.

    Is there any chance that I can correct My VISA in immigration office B??

    did anybody face to this problem.?

    I just have official letter from uni A that show they tell me that I can change my Uni.
    both position is PhD position.

    Please let me know about the process?

  • #3614 Reply


    What is town A and town B?

    Do you have admission letter for both universities? Are they fully funded? are you applying for student visa or work/ research?

  • #3687 Reply



    I applied for VISA using admission from Magdeburg university for summer semester. But I was late to apply my visa and I got it but stamping is still going on .

    In this scenario, If I get some other admit for same semester, from some other university, should I apply for visa again or can I change my university ???

  • #3703 Reply


    I have a question about changing the university. I had a visa and admission from TU Chemnitz, because of timing I enrolled at Magdeburg University and I am studying my first semester here and also I got the residence permit in my passport with 1-year validation. Also, I have an admission from Paderborn University for winter semester.

    Now the question is, I wanna go to Paderborn, Can I change my university without any problem with residence permit?


  • #3706 Reply


    Hi Saman,

    Normally this shouldnt be a problem as long as you have a valid admission in a university. But to be on a safe side , prolly in the new city , ask your auslanderbehorde. But i dont think it should be a problem!


  • #3714 Reply


    I have already applied for a visa and currently waiting for my results but today I got information from the university, I was going to stating that the subject I have applied to is no longer on their course of study due to insufficient enrollment of students. So,if I happen to get a visa will it be a invalid visa?

  • #3715 Reply



    My friend applied for visa using university A and got rejected. Now he is applying for visa using university B admit but he is very much interested in university A.

    If he gets visa for university B, can he directly go to university A??

    thanks in advance.

    • #3722 Reply


      normally it should be possible but the correct way is to apply for the university and for the same visa where he is interested to go!

  • #3721 Reply

    Romil Mewada


    I had applied for a course M.A transport & logistic to IUBH, Bad Honnef Germany. Now my course already started on 11th September & they gave me a extension till 29th September. But I haven’t received my visa yet. Now they have a Pre-masters course starting from November in the same college and the next intake for M.A transport & logistics start from March 2018. So if I get my visa now, can I go & attent the 6 months pre masters course and then enroll for March 2018 intake on the same visa? Will I face any issue while applying for the permit?

  • #3723 Reply


    your visa is valid only for the course for which you applied foR!..

    for further clarifications , please contact embassy / consulate!

  • #3730 Reply


    Dear admin

    I have recently enrolled in University A, and I got a residence permit for the duration of my studies. I am enrolled in the first-semester which ends in March. However, due to lack of quality, I am planning to change to another university which starts in September. Is there any problem in staying in Germany during that period of time (April-August) where I would not have class?

    Hope to hear back

    • #3738 Reply



      If you keep enrolled in your university, the visa shouldnt be a problem. If you dont have any enrollment , hence your purpose of stay is not valid anymore.


  • #3764 Reply


    I went to interview in German embassy and I gave pre register THM university. Now I recieved siegen university acceptance letter. How can I replace it by THM univeraity ? Do they change it ?If they don’t accept it can I submit in new university after getting my student visa ?

    • #3765 Reply


      Hi what is what pre-register?

      Normally if you ask embassy that you wish to goto a university othen the one you applied or , they ask you to apply for a new visa.

      Many students change the university after coming to Germany and usually there are no problems involved if you have a valid admission!

      Its upto you !

  • #3822 Reply


    Hey! I applied for my visa through wildau institude but by the time the visa arrived the deadline had passed so i changed my institude and university. So is there going to be any issue with immigration at the german airport once i get there. And if yes than what am i supposed to do now?

    • #3827 Reply


      Hello Rida,

      Normally it shouldnt be an issue. They dont ask too many questions. But if it they do ask, just show the new admission letter. Hopefully it should be okay


      NOTE: Please note our replies dont hold any legal ground!

  • #3825 Reply

    Rohit Dogra

    I want to know that i got admission in iubh bad honnef. And i got visa can i change my university after reaching germany

    • #3828 Reply



      Normally students have done it , hope it would be okay!

  • #3837 Reply

    Sanjeev kumar aneja

    I am new student of iubh (Berlin)in master in international management.after 4 or 5 month i can change my college and course. If yes . Please tell me how i should do. What i need for that. I m waiting your reply at my email address which is
    Thank you

  • #3940 Reply


    Is there a number of maximum semesters where after one cannot change course or is there not?
    beacause i am studying Engineering in Duisburg/Essen but i would like to study Dentistry. I am still enrolled in Duisburg/Essen because am working on DSH test and am not taking any classes this semster?

    • #3941 Reply


      Well, you must have a valid reason for holding a visa and staying in germany. it is normal that after sometime on renewals the ABH asks about the progress of your study and evaluate if you are doing okay to finish them in a considerate time,

  • #3979 Reply


    Hello sir
    I am student of iubh in pre master course in Germany berlin but I want to enroll German language course. Can I change my visa . Please help me.

  • #4035 Reply

    Bilal zaib

    I am new student in iubh.but now i want to change university.i have received admission letter from public university.can i change the university?
    I sighned a one year contract with university.can i cancel it before one year?
    I want to deregistration from iubh.can you help me how i can do it?

  • #4036 Reply

    Rijan Kharal


    I got my visa today. i applied for course A and course B in the same university and i got the acceptance letter for both course. But, I applied for my visa using course A.

    But, I want to study subject B in the same university.Is it possible?

    • #4043 Reply


      Hopefully that shouldn’t be a problem..

  • #4037 Reply

    Ashish Aher

    Hello guys,
    I got admitted to A university for IBE course, after getting my visa stampe i get to know that my campus is different and i have applied for another campus.Now my course n university is same but campus n city change. Is there is any problem with visa then?

    • #4042 Reply


      Hi Normally it shouldnt be a problem.

      Our suggestion doesnt hold any legal ground though!

  • #4143 Reply

    gagandeep singh tur

    i got visa , i am in german , i am indian student and doing germany level A2 to C1. my university offer letter study in germany . but i do want english . but i have not ielts or toefl. can i change the university include my study language in english without any ielts or toefl requirement . thanks

    • #4152 Reply


      ask the concerned university there is no general rule

  • #4200 Reply


    Hello admin,
    I would ask about university change, but in my case it is different than the others. I applied my visa with Zulassung from Hocschule Fulda, but then decided to study in Hochschule Ostwestfalen-Lippe. I know it should be no problem with the Ausländerbehörde in Lippe, but they refused to change (or take care of) my visa, because my visa states ‘gültig nur zum Studium an der Hochschule Fulda’.
    Do you have any solutions?
    Thank you in advance :)

  • #4229 Reply


    Hi, Im in desperate need of advise, and cant find any information. Maybe you could give me something
    Situation: I got admitted in university A for the program bioengineering bachelor and got visa for it stating the name and course program in 2017. I also got the residency permit from the city A. Now starting my 4th semester at this uni. The thing is that I found a Master program “pharmaceutical research” that I really like (I already have university diploma from my home country). It is in much better city and university and its Masters which is obviously better than Bachelor. I dont know if they accepted me yet but there is a chance. In that case Im not sure what should I do with my residency permit situation and if such transition is possible at all. I would really appreciate any information or advice. Thank you!

  • #4238 Reply


    Dear sir, i have got visa for germany university A but i want to go university B which is located in different city but university A city mention on visa can i go direct university B i hace also admission uni B ..Please sir guide me thanxx

Reply To: Change University after VISA
Your information: