University of Stuttgart

University of Stuttgart

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
University of Stuttgart
Universität Stuttgart
Established 1829
Type Public
Rector Univ.-Prof. Dr.-Ing. Wolfram Ressel
Admin. staff 5,000
Students 22,632[1]
Location StuttgartGermany Germany
Affiliations PEGASUS

The University of Stuttgart (German Universität Stuttgart) is a university located in StuttgartGermany. It was founded in 1829 and is organized in 10 faculties.

It is one of the top nine leading technical universities in Germany (TU9) with highly ranked programs in civil, mechanical, industrial and electrical engineering.

The University of Stuttgart is especially known for its excellent reputation in the fields of advanced automotive engineering, efficient industrial and automatical manufacturing, process engineering, aerospace technology and activity based costing. The academic tradition of the University of Stuttgart goes back to its probably most famous graduate student Gottlieb Daimler – the Inventor of the Automobile.

The University of Stuttgart, as well as Technical University of Munich, Technical University of Darmstadt and Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, represents one of the four members of the South German Axis of Advanced Engineering and Management. These four universities, in combination with RWTH Aachen are the top five universities of the before mentioned TU9.




Auditorium V38.01

Student Residences in Vaihingen

Keplerstraße 11 (“K1”, right) and 17 (“K2”, left) in the city center

Cafeteria in Vaihingen

The new “Raumfahrtzentrum Baden-Württemberg” in Vaihingen

From 1770 to 1794, the Karlsschule was the first university in Stuttgart. Located in Stuttgart-Hohenheim, it has since 1818 been theUniversity of Hohenheim and is not related to the University of Stuttgart, except for some joint activities.

What is now the University of Stuttgart was founded in 1829, and celebrated its 175th anniversary in 2004. Because of the increasing importance of the technical sciences and instruction in these fields, from 1876 the university was known as the Technical College. In 1900 it was awarded the right to grant doctoral degrees in the technical disciplines. The development of the courses of study at the Technical College of Stuttgart led to its renaming in 1967 to the present-day “Universität Stuttgart”.

Since the end of the 1950s, a part of the university has been located in the suburb of Stuttgart-Vaihingen. Most technical subjects (computer science, engineering, etc.) are located in Vaihingen, while social sciences, architecture, and similar topics are still located in the city center campus.

Famous students


The university is divided into 10 faculties:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *