Doctoral Candidate specializing in Physics or Electrical Engineering • Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt (PTB) • Braunschweig –
Read Time:3 Minute, 48 Second
Doctoral Candidate specializing in Physics or Electrical Engineering • Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt (PTB) • Braunschweig apply till 15.11.2018
|Time Span||as soon as possible for 3 years|
|Application Deadline||15 Nov 2018|
|Type of Position||PhD – Individual Supervisor|
|Field of Research||Mathematics / Natural Sciences|
|Description||The Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt (PTB) is the National Metrology Institute of the Federal Republic of Germany with scientific and technical service tasks. It furthers progress and reliability in metrology for society, the economy and science.|
Department 2.4 “Quantum Electronics” of Division 2 is looking for a
specializing in physics or electrical engineering
to join us as soon as possible.
This position is limited to 3 years. You will be employed at our Braunschweig site.
The remuneration will be paid in accordance with remuneration group
13 TVöD Bund (85 %).
Our department focuses on the development, fabrication and characterization of quantum circuits for high-frequency applications with different types of Josephson junctions. Appropriate setups for high-frequency (up to 70 GHz) cryogenic measurements (at 4.2 K and below) are available. With the aid of a controlled flux-quanta transportation, primary standards are realized. Our department has a worldwide leading position in this field.
The PTB Clean Room Center provides a sophisticated state-of-the-art technology for the fabrication of highly integrated superconductive nanosized structures. There is a successful cooperation with the University of Tübingen and PTB Berlin for the fabrication and characterization of nanoSQUIDs based on SNS Josephson junctions with HfTi barriers. These nanoSQUIDs have already been successfully implemented in a scanning SQUID microscope. Within the framework of this project these applications will be further investigated.
• You will work on the development and optimization of highly sensitive nanoSQUIDs based on SNS and SIS Josephson junctions
• Your work includes the elaboration of SQUID designs for different tasks in the field of characterizing small spin systems
• You will transfer the layout data for the fabrication in the PTB Clean Room Center
• You will manufacture circuits on your own in the PTB Clean Room Center, and you will optimize the fabrication process to increase the fabrication yield of these highly integrated complex circuits
• You will participate in performing the basic metrological characterization of these circuits
• It will be your task to publish the results
For further information concerning this position, please contact:
Dr. Dr. O. Kieler, phone: +49 531 592-2410, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. A. Zorin, phone: +49 531 592-2400, E-mail: email@example.com
PTB promotes the professional equality of women and men and is thus especially interested in applications from women.
Within the scope of the official feasibilities, PTB offers flexible part-time work schemes in order to support in particular the compatibility of family and profession.
Disabled persons will be given priority if they have the same occupational aptitude.
Are you interested? Then we are looking forward to hearing from you.
Please use our online application form at:
Or send us your application to the following postal address:
Unfortunately, we cannot accept applications sent via e-mail.
• You have completed university studies (German “Diplom” or Master’s) in physics or electrical engineering
• You have knowledge of one of the following fields: superconductivity, Josephson junctions, SQUIDs, RF measurement technology (GHz range)
• You have practical experience in thin-film fabrication. Ideally, you know how to handle complex measurement setups at cryogenic temperatures (4.2 K) and have already gathered experience in this field
• You are able to carry out scientific work independently; you have analytical skills
• You are an excellent team player and have good communication skills
• You have a good command of scientific and technical German and English, both spoken and written
• You have the physical aptitude to work in a cryogenic laboratory and in a Clean Room Center
• You are willing to perform research visits to our partners in Berlin and Tübingen
|Language of Dissertation||EnglishGerman|
|Required Documents||CVReports, certificatesLetter of MotivationList of Publication|
Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt (PTB) • Fachbereich “Quantenelektronik”
Dr. Dr. Oliver Kieler